About a month ago, my boyfriend and I split. Our relationship had been a whirlwind of ups and downs, and in the midst of it all, I fell deeply in love with him. Unfortunately, as whirlwind romances are wont to go, ours fell apart.
It’s been a rough month. I’ve been missing him like crazy, and it’s been hard to adjust to a life without all of our routines. I don’t have a go-to person to go out with on Saturday nights. I don’t have someone to text about awful people riding their bikes on busy sidewalks. I don’t get to hang out with his friends and family anymore. It can be downright shitty sometimes.
But! I’ve found that there are some things that are really helping me work through this breakup, and most days, I feel pretty good about my newly single state. I am by no means completely over my ex-boyfriend, but I think I’m making a good start. Here are some of the ways I’ve been coping with it:
- I’m getting help. One of the first things I did after the breakup was make an appointment with a therapist. I had never gone before, but I felt like I needed to talk about all these new and icky feelings I had about the end of my relationship. And then I hired a breakup coach, who is helping me develop some strong, concrete strategies for working on myself and helping me heal.
- I found a new hobby. In a previous post, I mentioned that I joined a Meetup group for hiking. Well, it was definitely the result of the breakup! I needed something to do to fill in some of the time I wouldn’t be spending with my ex anymore, and I wanted to do something fun and active. I really enjoyed my first hike, and I’m scheduled to do another one in a couple of weeks. I can’t wait!
- I’m spending more time with friends and family. While I’m sad that I can’t hang out with my ex and his friends and family, it’s been really great to shift my focus back to my own pals. I’m so grateful to have had a lot of support from all kinds of places: from my mom and dad, from my oldest friends, from the blogging world, from my work buddies, and, most of all, from Moxie.
- I exercise. I’ll admit that I’ve been a little lax about my workout regimen since the breakup, but when I do something to get my heart pumping, it feels so good. I’ve started running again for the first time in a year, and Mox and I have been taking some great long walks. Not to mention I’m getting back into PIIT28, which is basically the best thing ever. It’s awesome to do something nice for my body, and working out always clears my head. Plus, it’s not a bad excuse for getting cute new workout gear!
- I let myself feel what I need to feel. It’s all well and good to stay busy, but when I’m feeling sad, I let myself be sad for a little while. It’s okay to cry, to write it all out, and really explore my feelings.
Top: ModCloth (sold out)
Bag: old, ModCloth