Family, friends, loved ones, acquaintances, Moxie:
I’ve been nominated for the Liebster Award by the incredible Dalisse from The Tiny Canary. If you don’t already follow her, go for it! I love her style; she’s got a cool vintage/boho vibe that I’m all about. In addition to her crisply chic outfit photos, she also posts beauty, fashion, and music reviews, so check her out!
Now, a little about the Liebster Award: it’s presented to bloggers by bloggers as a sign of appreciation to them and to help expose their blog for other viewers. Let’s get going!
11 Random Facts About Me:
- I’ve colored my hair a lot since I was 13. It all began with red tips–I think there’s a Medieval Times photo for documentation. Since then, I’ve had pink tips and black streaks (not at the same time), and I’ve dyed it ginger and black. I’m naturally a blonde–nowadays I just get highlights.
- When I was six years old, I took Tae Kwon Do lessons with my brother. I was slow on my feet but extremely powerful–they called me the TANK.
- In college, I was a founder and president of the Quidditch team. Oh, do I have stories from that era.
- Once, I threw an open container of yogurt at someone. He deserved it.
- My first crush was on Luke Skywalker. I’m more of a Han Solo girl these days.
- I have always lived on the top floor of every building I’ve ever inhabited.
- Most of you know this already, but I’m a dog mom! I adopted Moxie as a three-month-old puppy from a shelter, and we’ve been inseparable ever since.
- As my day job, I’m a layout artist for a catalog. You want InDesign help? I’m there for you.
- I’m an ambivert. While I tend to need a little alone time to recharge and can be fairly shy, I go a little stir crazy if I can’t socialize. In fact, one of my performance reviews at work effectively stated that I’m cheerful and friendly but that I talk too much to my coworkers!
- Sometimes when I run and I’m listening to something really good, I can’t help but dance or air guitar a little. “Digital Love” by Daft Punk is the biggest culprit.
- I’ve never been on a plane! I’m absolutely planning on changing that!
Q and A:
- What inspired you to start your blog?
After college, I got stuck in a rut. A decade and a half of my life had been dedicated to learning and extracurriculars, but once I was in the real world with a full-time job, I didn’t know what to do with myself. I struggled with it for a long time, but I finally decided to get this blog going. It incorporates so much of what I love–writing, learning, clothes, and people!
- Who is your favorite style icon?
I don’t really have a particular one. I don’t follow celebrities or designers, but I do have a ton of blogger inspirations.
- Can you name two of your favorite bloggers and explain why they are your favorites?
I’m only going to name one, because she was and is my biggest inspiration: Rebecca from A Clothes Horse. She’s a wonderful stylist and photographer–her pictures have an enchanting, almost magical quality. Because of her, I strive with every single post to imagine better outfits and take better photos. I don’t know if I’ll ever achieve the quality of her blog, but shoot for the moon, right?
- What’s the one wardrobe essential you can’t live without?
My leopard print pointed-toe flats. They go with everything!
- How would you describe your blogging style?
I suppose “me” isn’t an acceptable answer, but I do like to instill as much of my personality as possible into this blog. I love telling stories–so much so that sometimes the copy in my outfit posts has nothing to do with the outfit itself!
- What is your greatest achievement outside of blogging?
I graduated summa cum laude with a degree in English literature!
- What was the last book you read?
I’m nearing the end of Quiet by Susan Caine. In it, she describes how the role of introverts in America (and most of the West) is seriously underplayed, and she backs it up with plenty of research. It’s a book that has made me really examine myself and others, and I highly recommend it!
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?
I want to go all over the place. Really. Put me on a plane and send me anywhere.
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
I can’t see the future, but I know it’s watching me.
10. What was the first movie or book that made an impact on your life?
Little House in the Big Woods. The entire Little House series has stuck with me my entire life. I fell in love with the books as a child for its rich depictions of pioneer life, and I still love it as an adult–there’s so much more to it than I ever thought possible. Feminism, racism, history, storytelling, it’s all there.
- What advice would you give someone who just started blogging?
Don’t get caught up in numbers. There have been a few times when I considered shutting down this blog because I didn’t think I was meeting arbitrary follower/comment/like goals, but come on! That’s ridiculous! Stick with your blog and make sure you can always answer “yes” to this question: Are you better at it today than you were yesterday?
Also, get involved! I’ve made some really wonderful blogger friends–people whom I truly care about and who are always there to support and encourage me.
Here are my 11 nominees:
You don’t have to do this, but of course I wanted to recognize youse guys!
2) Mona of Curls & Cakes
3) Cami of Yours Truly, Freckle Face
4) Hanh of Hanhgry
5) Liana of Finding Femme
6) Alexandra of Larkspur Vintage
7) Laura of Fox Trails
8) Grace of the eponymously named gracevanderson.com
9) Lauren of Musings of a Flower Child
10) Anna of Melodic, Thrifty & Chic
11) Chiara of The Sartorial Coquette